Intergers, Fractions, Precents and Scientific Notation by Mind Map: Intergers,
Fractions,
 Precents
and
Scientific
Notation
0.0 stars - reviews

Intergers, Fractions, Precents and Scientific Notation

Map Goal: To clearly state how the steps needed to do the stated mathmatical problems as well as provide a link to games illistrating these priciple.

Fractions

Adding

When adding two fractions together the fractions have to have the same demoninator. If the fractions don't have the same denominatior then you have to find what number could be mulitplied to one or both sides to make them equal. Then you can add across the numerator and the denominator to get your final answer. Some reducing may be nessacary. For example:    2/4 + 2/3 Recongize the two fractions don't have the same denominator, which is nessacary to preform the addition equation. To get the same denominator you have to identify the lowest common factor of 4 and 3, which is 12. So the you would multiply 2/4 by 3 and 2/3 by 4. 3 * 2/4 + 2/3 * 4     The end result of this multiplication is 6/12 + 8/12 Now that we have two fractions with the same denominator, we now just add across to get the final answer.  6/12 + 8/12 = 14/12 14/12 is a mixed number which can also be reduced. 14/12 = 7/6 = 1 and 1/6 1 and 1/6 would be your final answer for 2/4 + 2/3  

Subtracting

Subtracting fractions is much like adding fractions. You do the same oder of operations, such as, checking if the demonimatior is the same and if not, finding the lowest common denominatior. You would apply that the same as you would with addition. Then once you have common denominators on both fractions you subratact across and reduce if needed.

Multiplying

To Multiply fractons, the demoniator do not have to be the same in each fraction. You just simply multiply across the numerator and the demonorator. For example 2/3 x 4/5 First you would multily the numerators. 2 x 3 = 6 Then you would multiply the denominators. 3 x 5 = 15 Once you multiplied both the numerator and the denominator you make that into a fraction 6/15 And then you reduce if nessacary to get you final answer. In this case we can reduce. 6/15 becomes 2/5 And 2/5 is your final answer.

Dividing

Dividing fractions is alot like mulitiplying frations. To divide two fractions you take the recipricle of the second fraction and then mulitply across. For Example: 2/5 / 1/8 First you need to take the reciplicle of 1/8 which is 8/1 Then you multiply 2/5 and 8/1 2/5 x 8/1 You then multiply across and treat it the same as you would if you were multiplying fractions. 2/5 x 8/1 = 16/5 Reduce if nessacary.

Integers

Negitive

Adding

Subtracting

Multiplying

Dividing

Positive

Adding

Subtracting

Multiplying

Dividing

Scientific Notation

Scientific notation, also known as standard form or as exponential notation, is a way of writing numbers that accommodates values too large or small to be conveniently written in standard decimal form a times 10 to the b power. For Example: 78,000,000,000,000 in scientific notation would be 7.8 times 10 to the 13 power. 0.0000000000862 in scientific notation would b 8.62 times 10 to the 9th power.

Precents

Easy 10

To easly figure out 10% of something just move the decimal point one place to the left. So... 10% of 98 is 9.8.   Other precents using the easy 10 method. To find 20%, you can find 10% and then double it. To find 30%, you can find 10% and then mutliply it by three. and so on....

Decreasing Percents

If an item is decreased by z% then the value that remains is (100-z). For Example: You are shopping and the item you want is $80 and the price is discounted by 15%. How much is the final cost. Work: The percent of vaule remaining is 85%. (100% - 15%) The decimal remaining is .85 The new cost would then be (80)(.85) = 68 Final Cost: The final cost of the item would be $68.

Increasing Percents

If an item is increase by z% then the remaining value is (100+z).  For Example: If you own a $90,000 home and the value of that home increase by 2% this year. What is the final value of the home? Work: Percent value remaining would be 102%. The decimal remaining would be 1.02. The new value of the hom would be (90,000)(1.02) = 91,800 Final Value: The final value of the home would be $91,800.

Create your own awesome maps

Even on the go

with our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android

Get Started

Already have an account?
Sign In