The impact of attending pre-school education on later academic achievement of students: Empirica...

Get Started. It's Free
or sign up with your email address
Rocket clouds
The impact of attending pre-school education on later academic achievement of students: Empirical evidences from Dessie, Ethiopia by Mind Map: The impact of attending pre-school education on later  academic achievement of students: Empirical  evidences from Dessie, Ethiopia

1. INTRODUCTION

1.1. Problem statement and rationale

1.1.1. Pre-school education in Ethiopia caters for children aged 4–6 years, but it is not compulsory

1.1.2. what children learn and feel during this time will be foundational to the rest of their life

1.1.3. pre-school education in the country is very low

1.2. Research objective and hypothesis

1.2.1. Having pre-school educational experience has no statistically significant effect on academic achievement of students in regional examination

1.2.2. Parents’ educational level has no statistically significant association with the extent of enrollment of their children in pre-school education.

1.2.3. Parents’ occupational status has no statistically significant association with the extent of enrollment of their children in pre-school education

2. MATERIALS AND METHODS

2.1. Description of study area

2.1.1. The study was conducted in South Wollo, Ethiopia, which is one of the twelve administrative zones in Amhara National Regional State (ANRS), located in the Southeastern part of the region

2.2. Research methods and sources of data

2.2.1. standardized regional examination results

2.2.2. a structured questionnaire

2.2.3. a semi-structured questionnaire

2.2.4. informal interview with parents

2.3. Target population, sampling procedures and samples

2.3.1. the results of 538 randomly selected students were analyzed

2.4. Data analysis and interpretation

2.4.1. An independent-samples t-test

2.4.2. Chi-square test

2.4.3. Linear regression

3. RESULTS

3.1. 61% had pre-school education experience and the remaining 39% have joined primary grades without having any pre-school education

3.2. pre-school education has more effect on language performance

3.3. attending preprimary education will increase average result in regional examination

4. DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSION

4.1. pre-school attendance is negatively associated with poverty, strongly discouraging the poorest groups

4.2. early childhood education has a positive effect on educational development of children in later life.

4.3. pre-school education has impact on later academic achievement of students

5. RECOMMENDATION

5.1. Limitation

5.1.1. Some factors that may have an impact on academic achievement were not controlled while testing the effect of pre-school education on academic achievement.

5.1.2. The samples were taken from one geographical area which may mean results do not generalize

5.1.3. Only two socioeconomic factors have been used. Income level, family size and other aspects of socio-economic statuses were not included in the analysis

5.2. Early childhood education should be encouraged by the government by providing pre-school educational facilities as of the primary and secondary levels besides the involvement of the private sector.